Q. Is there a difference between bathtub refinishing and bathtub reglazing?
No. Bathtub refinishing, bathtub reglazing, tile refinishing or tile reglazing all describe the same process of applying a new finish over a hard surface. Do not confuse this with applying new porcelain. Porcelain can only be baked-on in a kiln (oven).
Q. How much will I save with bathtub refinishing as opposed to replacement?
Refinishing your bathtub will save about 70% over bathtub replacement. While a brand new bathtub may only cost a few hundred dollars, there are other costs to replacement such as removal and disposal cost, plumbing alterations, and tile work. These costs add up, and you can easily end up spending nearly $1,000 To $2,000 to replace your bathtub.
Q. How long does the bathtub refinishing process take?
Our refinishing process typically only takes 3 – 5 hours to complete for most standard size tubs. Your bathtub will usually be ready to use within another 10 hours after that. Why wait days or even weeks for a contractor to replace your bathtub when you can get the same results in less than 1 day!
Q. How long will my bathtub last?
The durability of a bathtub refinished by Surface Renew is very similar to that of most new tubs available now. If properly maintained and no abrasive chemicals are used for cleaning it will last you many years just as a brand new bathtub would. As a general rule, 10 to 15 years in a residential setting with normal every day use.
Q. Does Surface Renew, Inc. offer a warranty or guarantee?
Surface Renew offers an industry leading 3 year warranty for residential work and 1 year for commercial jobs. Many refinishing companies offer warranties which are pro- rated, meaning that the warranty’s coverage decreases incrementally over time. Unlike these warranties, our guarantee covers 100% of any defects in workmanship or materials throughout the entire life of the guarantee. Our warranty is posted online here.
Q. How do I care for and clean my refinished bathtub?
Upon completion of residential tubs, we leave homeowners with a Care Instruction Sheet that tells homeowners how to clean and care for their newly refinished tub. Refinished bathtubs are often easier to clean than the original product. As a general rule, use mild, non- abrasive cleaning products. Just as with a new bathtub, the finish or shine can be dulled by abrasive cleaners. Our Care Sheet can be found here.
Q. Will it smell while you are refinishing my tub?
Surface Renew technicians come equipped with full ventilation systems for occupied units to exhaust fumes that do naturally occur with the use of solvents. Although you may notice some odor while we work and after we are finished, this typically is gone in a few hours.
Q. Will refinishing work on my kitchen counter tops?
Our refinishing process works on a variety of counter top surfaces, including laminates, Formica, tile, and cultured marble. It also saves you money; with our Stone-Finish, stone look system, you can have that natural- stone look for a fraction of the cost of actual stone! Click here for color chart.
Q. Do you repair chips and scratches in my bathtub?
Surface Renew technicians will fill in most chips or other imperfections in your bathtub or other surface prior to the refinishing process, making your damaged porcelain, acrylic, or fiberglass surface look smooth. Depending upon extent of damage, additional charges may apply. Your technician will alert you if he/she sees anything that is out of the ordinary.
Q. What makes the Surface Renew, Inc. different from other refinishing companies?
1. The team at Surface Renew does NOT use “miracle” primers. A growing number of companies are cutting costs and reducing the time it takes to refinish by using a thin primer that is wiped on with a rag. ALL our projects are primed with a modified spray on epoxy that bonds better, is tougher, and has been the proven method for longevity and durability for years.
2. All ceramic and porcelain surfaces are etched; this is a process that cleans the surface AND prepares it with microscopic pores that our finish can get INTO the original surface and bond with it instead of sitting on top. This takes an extra 20 to 30 minutes. Other companies often skip this part. Our reputation is only as good as our work and customer service. We believe in delivering the best and most complete service each and every time.
3. The topcoat that is part of our standard resurfacing process is manufactured by a company we trust for consistency with their production. It has the additives in it to enable it to stand up to oils and dirt for long lasting durability. Many companies save money here by purchasing a car paint locally. This will look very similar when put on but lacks the essential additives to withstand the wears bathroom and kitchen fixtures face.
4. On kitchen counter tops and bath vanities, we use a revolutionary cross linking sealer to apply our stone-look finishes. Cross linking enables us to mix the sealer with the stone color so that the sealer is all the way through the color. All other companies put the color on and then spray a sealer on top of the color.
Q. What if my tub has been refinished before?
A quality tub that has been refinished before can be refinished again. Surface Renew will evaluate the condition of the existing coating and if necessary, strip and clean the tub before we refinish it so the old coatings are removed. There is an additional charge for refinishing a previously resurfaced fixture.
Q. Do You Change Any of The Plumbing Fixtures?
We highly recommend installing a new bathtub drain trim ring cover during bathtub refinishing. We can provide this service for you. Since our coating needs to stay completely dry for at least 10 hrs to properly cure, plumbing problems such as leaks, broken fixtures, etc. must be resolved before the tub is refinished.
Q.What should I do to prepare before your arrival?
- Fix any water leaks from your tub’s faucet.
- Remove your personal items from the bathroom.
- Remove shower curtains from the bathroom.
- Identify a window or door within 25 feet that opens and the screen removed so our exhaust hose can vent outdoors.
- A clean bathroom is always appreciated; we will leave it just as clean.
- A clear work space near the bathroom in the hallway. Anything you remove from the bathroom should not be placed directly outside the bathroom but off to the side or into another room. Our technicians need the space outside the bathroom to setup their equipment.
- Please no other construction or cleaning services happening while we are refinishing. Since we are spraying a wet epoxy onto a newly cleaned and prepped surface we require a dust free environment for best results.
- We need about 12″ of clearance all around area to be refinished. If you have a bath vanity or toilet closer than that, consider removing it prior to our appointment so we can refinish behind or alongside it.
- If you will be getting your tile walls done around the whole bathroom, it’s best to remove all cabinets, mirrors, and toilet tank so we can spray behind them (Leave the toilet base attached unless replacing).
- Be sure that all other work that you are planning in the bathroom is completed first such as tile and plumbing work. It’s a great time to replace your drain and overflow if needed OR take a look at our drain cover we can install for you.
- New painting, wallpaper, carpet and showers doors should be done after refinishing is complete and cured. Damage may occur while working around a newly resurfaced bathtub with tools, ladders, spills, etc. Always protect your bathroom fixtures with padding, while working around them.
- Be sure there is electricity and water available, which will be needed for our prep work.
- In colder months, the house MUST be at a minimum of 65 degrees the day before and after refinishing.
- Please confine your pets until our technician has completed the work.
Q. Do I or my pets need to leave my home during the bathtub refinishing process?
This is an individual preference choice. We use Fume Exhausts and HVLP spray systems to both minimize over-spray and remove as many fumes as possible. There will be some residual odor for a few hours. We recommend airing out the home for a bit to clear the air after we leave. If you or a family member suffer from sensitivities to solvent smells, such as, finger nail polish remover, then it may be best to leave the house for a awhile until the smell and fumes clear. Parrots and certain other birds are very sensitive and should be removed from the immediate area.
Q. I notice small specs of dust on the surface. Is this natural?
Yes. While we take every precaution in cleaning the environment we’re working in, it is impossible to prevent some dust from settling onto the wet surface. However, if you follow the normal recommended cleaning most of this dust will dissipate in a few weeks. Do not try and pick the dust with your fingers! Doing so can damage the finish and will void your warranty.
Q. What do I do after your technician is gone?
- The surface must remain dry until cured. This is 10 hrs after work has been completed for any solid color and 24 hours for Stone Finishes.
- Remove any masking tape and paper after 24 hrs.
- Reinstall any hardware such as drains, faucets, handles, etc. after surface has cured.
- Caulking must be re-applied after the drying period.
- You must never use bathmats with suction cups! Any suction cups can damage the finish.
- When cleaning, use only a non-abrasive cleaner. Remove cleaner thoroughly after use. We recommend Simple Green diluted 50% and cleaned with a sponge. Do not use cleaners with bleach.
- Do not store soaps, shampoo, bath oil, shaving cream, etc on bathtub or rim. Chemicals in these products can damage the finish over time. A hanging shower caddy will work great keeping items off the surface and away from the finish.
- Repair any leaky faucets at once. Dripping water will cause premature wear and rust around drain.
- Take care pouring any liquid drain opener directly into drain, making sure not to spill any on the finished surface.
- Most surface dust will dissipate in 3-4 weeks with normal cleaning and usage. Do not pick surface dust off with finger.
- See our link to Care Instruction Sheet for more info.
Q. What if I’m not comfortable or unable to complete the Care Instructions after the technician is done?
No Problem! Call us and we can send a technician out to get your tub ready for you. Our typical charge for this is $50 per job area and includes re-caulking along the tub or sink. It’s also a great time to consider our bathtub drain trim ring and cover to give your tub a “finished” look!